Rwanda Utilities Regulatory Authority (RURA) in partnership with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) hosts a regional training course on the transportation of radioactive materials for African Anglophone countries.
The five-day training aims to train participants the capability and the requirements for the transport of radioactive material with regards to the IAEA Regulations for the Safe Transport of Radioactive Material (IAEA Transport Regulations); and on responsibilities of Competent Authorities in ensuring compliance with these requirements.
In his opening remarks, Robert Nyamvumba the Energy Division Manager at the Ministry of Infrastructure (MININFRA), reiterated the importance of this training as its main purpose is to learn from the best practices set by the International Atomic Energy Agency.
"This training is to learn from experiences of partner states and how we can collaborate as partner states in Africa and beyond as far as the safe transportation of radioactive materials is concerned. I would like also to appreciate efforts that IAEA puts in this field," Said Robert Nyamvumba.
He also reminded participants that skills, tools and the right procedures are needed to ensure the safe use of radioactive material.
This five-day training has brought together participants from Rwanda, Egypt, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Mauritius, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Sudan, United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
During these five training days the various elements of the IAEA’s Transport Regulations are being discussed:
▪ Uses of radioactive material
▪ Regulatory frame work for the safe transport of radioactive material
▪ Regulatory responsibilities for the safe transport of radioactive material
▪ Regulatory terminology
▪ Basic safety concepts of the IAEA Transport Regulations
▪ Radiation protection in transport.
▪ Material classification and package types
▪ Material and package design and test requirements
▪ Requirements and controls for transport
▪ Approval and notification of package designs and shipments.
▪ Transport inspections
▪ Planning and preparing for emergency response to transport accidents involving
▪ Overview of the technical guide: Compliance Inspections by the African Competent
Authorities on the Transport of Radioactive Material.
▪ Training on transport of radioactive material
▪ The management system for the safe transport of radioactive material
▪ Plan for development of a compliance assurance regime
Here you can get Pictures for the training